I'm a christian who is happily married with one child. I try to find joy in every day, no matter how good or bad the day may be.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A short word

I love words. A long time ago, I used to collect dictionaries and thesauruses. I thought that by collecting old dictionaries i would discover old and forgotten words and somehow bring them back into vogue. Alas, this did not happen. I liked the idea of collecting unusual words as well, and filled notebooks with them (sadly, I can no longer find them). I still have a few dictionaries ( 5 to be exact) but they rarely get used, except for the odd scrabble game. But somehow, I can't bring myself to throw them away. recently, we moved house, and as a result, got rid of many books that we no longer used or wanted. But I still could not part with the dictionaries.

I like to flick through them occasionally, picking random pages. At uni, I used to procrastinate from assignments by playing a game. You randomly pick a page, and take the first word, then a second page and the second word and so forth until you have 10 words to make a sentence with. for example: expeditious, northern, confidently, twirls,shamefaced, galore, velvet, snub, pig, wedding. So, an expeditious northern pig twirls around confidently in a velvet galore dress, only to snub a shamefaced groom at his wedding. Doesn't make much sense, does it? It was a great form of procrastination as it took a lot of time to craft the sentence plus as I was studying creative writing, I convinced myself that I was actually doing some work!
so I was wondering, what do other people do (other than facebook, e-mail etc) to procrastinate from doing something boring but necessary? And does anyone else collect words?

2 comments:

  1. To procrastinate = put off taking action, delay. I'm a great procrastinator when it comes to having to do most things around the house. I'd much rather read a good book, do my family history research, scrapbooking, knitting, sewing, go for a walk along the beach, tend the vegie patch, have a chat on the phone, in fact I think I've mastered the art of procrastination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There your Mom gave me your address. Enjoyed reading your uplifting and positive thoughts. Congratulations on Marcus, he is lovely.

    ReplyDelete